Old March 15th 12, 08:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Phone roaming in the US and Canada was card numbers, wascards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

On 13/03/2012 04:55, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:08:51 -0700, "Roger Traviss"
wrote:

If you have an out of country phone in either Canada or the United
States, the roaming costs to go to the other country are noticeable.
I'm going to pay 40 dollars of 100 minutes of air time in the US for
one month so that I don't get hit with really bad roaming charges.
Within either the US or Canada, most carriers are nationwide so far as
roaming is concerned.

Here in Victoria, if you are down by the waterfront, you may get hit by
roaming changes for even a local call.

Why? Because your call gets picked up by a cell tower in Blaine, Washington
State. :-)

That has been alleged to have happened on English south coast
shores/beaches which are screened from the local transmitter by high
cliffs but within range of French base stations.

Yes, that happened to me when I was down by the cliffs of Dover a few
years back. But I found that, while my phone was picking up French
signals, it would not lock onto them.