Old March 15th 12, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

wrote on 15 March 2012
21:38:54 ...
On 15/03/2012 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In , at 10:55:45 on Thu, 15 Mar
2012,
d remarked:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17365934

There doesn't seem to be much distance between the 2 bores. Surely
they won't
be that close the entire route? Looks like it would collapse.

The tunnel is concrete-lined as the machine moves forward.

I'm more interested in them apparently using GPS 38m underground!

Did they ever choose names for them?

Yes. The one currently at Westbourne Park is named Ada, as I saw today
from a Circle Line train.

The names a
PHYLLIS, after Phyllis Pearsall, who created the London A-Z street atlas
ADA, after Ada Lovelace, who worked with Charles Babbage on his
"analytical engine", and is regarded as the first computer programmer
(Phyllis will be first to start boring at Royal Oak, and I assume she
must be already on the slope leading down to the portal there.)

The others whose names have been announced are VICTORIA and ELIZABETH,
after the two queens; MARY, after Mary Brunel the wife of the famous
railway engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel; and SOPHIA after Sophia Brunel
the wife of IKB's father Marc Isambard Brunel who built the first tunnel
under the Thames.

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/site...ines-announced
--
Richard J.