Old March 16th 12, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On 16/03/2012 00:17, wrote:

In ,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Tunnel boring to begin from the Royal Oak portal heading eastwards
under central London.

Pictorial:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17365934

"The scheme is currently the largest civil engineering project in Europe."
Really? Bigger than the Gotthard Base Tunnel?

Video:

So, it's finally really happening.

I thought they were starting on the 21st? I noted the date some time
back as it's my younger daughter's birthday.

Could be, I haven't come across the 21st date before bit nor have I
looked for it either.

Crossrail press release from Tuesday (13th March):

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/press-releases/giant-tunnel-boring-machines-ready-to-start-crossrail-dig

Excerpt:
---quote---
Today, the first of eight enormous machines, each 150 metres long and
weighing 1,000 tonnes, will begin their journey to the Royal Oak Portal
in west London from where, next week, they will start tunnelling 6.4 km
(four miles) east to Farringdon via Bond Street and Tottenham Court
Road. [...]
---/quote---