Old March 16th 12, 07:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On 16/03/2012 17:47, Paul Scott wrote:
"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 16/03/2012 15:01, Paul Scott wrote:

We have two aircraft [helicopter] carriers. HMS Ocean and HMS
Illustrious.

You mean we don't have any fixed wing capability.

Because we don't have any fixed wing aircraft. Assuming the ski-jump
has been removed (wasn't the last time I saw her), it would be easy to
refit to HMS Illustrious if we had any Harriers left.

Wrong assumption however. The ski jump is definitely still there. It
would have cost a huge amount to remove it, as modifications since the
1982 version led to it being enlarged and fully utilised internally for
accomodation, storerooms etc.

Still haven't got any Harriers though, which are the only aircraft that
are cleared for using the ski-jump.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail