Old March 16th 12, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On 16/03/2012 20:15, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 16/03/2012 18:41, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:03:32 +0000, Graeme Wall
wrote:

On 16/03/2012 14:56, d wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:03:40 +0000
Graeme wrote:
Generals all tend to fight the last war...

I'm intrigued by the concept of the UK being /under/ defended. Against
what military threat?

I'm sure every general in the world would love the forsight to be
able to
see who their next enemy will be 10 or 20 years down the line.

Currently we have nuclear missile submarines with no one to aim
them at,
high performance fighters with no one to fight, an aircraft carrier
with
no aircraft and carrier escort destroyers with no carriers to escort.

So your solution would be what, start building military equipment
after we've
been attacked?

Who is going to attack us that we need trident missiles to defend
against?

The world is not short of loony leaders. Those who invent technologies
always run the risk of losing out to others who copy it.

That doesn't answer the question.

People don't figure out exactly who is going to nick their stuff before
taking out insurance.

Also the world takes notice of the latest Kim, or Pakistani general, and
Iran gets the world's attention, but no-one cares about their
equivalents in Africa or wherever.

Plus the frogs have got nukes.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK