Old March 16th 12, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On 16/03/2012 20:14, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 16/03/2012 17:57, 77002 wrote:
On Mar 16, 2:56 pm, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:03:40 +0000

Graeme wrote:
Generals all tend to fight the last war...

I'm intrigued by the concept of the UK being /under/ defended. Against
what military threat?

I'm sure every general in the world would love the forsight to be
able to
see who their next enemy will be 10 or 20 years down the line.

Currently we have nuclear missile submarines with no one to aim them
at,
high performance fighters with no one to fight, an aircraft carrier
with
no aircraft and carrier escort destroyers with no carriers to escort.

So your solution would be what, start building military equipment
after we've
been attacked? Btw , we don't have any carriers right now.

B2003

Britain scraped by at the start of WWII because of the "phoney war".
That gave the UK time to manufacture aircraft, etc.

Had the battle of Britain happened earlier we may not have done so
well.

You think we are in serious danger of going to war with Germany again
sometime soon?

No - next time we'll have the sense to be on their side...

OTOH, were people expecting war with Germany in the mid-1930s, or the
1900s? It was a possibility, at least for rabble-rousers, but not an
expectation.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK