Old March 17th 12, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Ian Jackson Ian Jackson is offline

Default Bloody traffic police at accidents

In message , Richard J.
writes
wrote on 16 March 2012 09:39:48 ...
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 22:58:43 +0000
"Richard wrote:
It may be an inconvenience to you and others, but it can save a lifetime
of doubt and uncertainty, or a life changing criminal record, or not,
for those involved.

Good post, Bill, and highly relevant. The A40 Gypsy Corner accident

No it wasn't, it was the usual special pleading·

this morning involved a lorry and a motorcycle. One man died there.
This was not a "modest accident".

It was a perfectly ordinary accident. 2000 people die on the roads each year
in the UK. We all take risks when we drive and if I ended up dead in an
accident I wouldn't expect the half of london to be inconvenienced because
of it. They manage to get the tube up and running fairly quickly when someone
falls under a train so there's absolutely no reason for a major arterial
road to be closed for almost the entire morning just because of a bog
standard
road accident.

Your description of an accident in which someone died (an acquaintance
of an acquaintance of mine actually) as a "perfectly ordinary accident"
and a "bog standard accident" just shows how callously insensitive you
are. Any argument based on those sentiments is not worth debating.
Good night.

I fully understand your feelings about such situations. However, haven't
the police admitted that, when there have been fatalities, they do
sometimes have a policy of closing the road essentially to show respect
for the deceased and their families, and also to demonstrate to other
road users what the consequences of bad driving can be. While I'm sure
that those trapped in traffic all feel sad about what has happened,
should they be made to show respect and guilt in this way?
--
Ian