Old March 17th 12, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

In message , at 14:57:13
on Fri, 16 Mar 2012, remarked:
"The scheme is currently the largest civil engineering project in
Europe." Really? Bigger than the Gotthard Base Tunnel?

I see no-one answered this.

I had a go. Here's an additional comment: the Crossrail budget is
about twice the Gotthard one. How do you define "large"?

Yes, I saw that later. However, most of the difference is explained by
stations and works off the tunnel route, isn't it?

Those are still "civil engineering". The claim isn't for the "biggest/
longest/most expensive tunnel", it's the *project*.