Old March 17th 12, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Alistair Gunn Alistair Gunn is offline

Default Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

In uk.railway Graeme Wall twisted the electrons to say:
On 16/03/2012 14:24, Recliner wrote:
I thought we didn't have any in-service fixed-wing aircraft carriers,
with or without aircraft?

We still have HMS Illustrious, though she's not in commission.

That was a fast decommissioning, she was only on her way back from an
exercise off the coast of Norway on the 16th!

Of course, we do have two under
construction for delivery in a few years.

One of which is scheduled to go direct from the slipway to the scrapyard.

Well, straight from slipway to the reserves ...

The bit that misses is the fact that the Argentine navy effectively
doesn't exist any more, they have no carrier, no operational subs, 3 old
frigates and 2 type 42 destroyers. Debatable whether any of those are
actually serviceable. They certainly don't have any heavy lift and
amphibious capability any more.

One of their type-42s is a (small) helicopter assault ship these days
rather than an air defence destroyer.

There's a presidential election later in the year and the locals are
****ed of with Christina. Also the economy is going down the drain
again so rattle the sabres and wave the Malvinas flags to distract the
peasantry.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail