Old March 17th 12, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Ian Jackson Ian Jackson is offline

Default Bloody traffic police at accidents

In message
,
Mizter T writes

On Mar 17, 8:31*am, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Richard J.
writes
[...]
Your description of an accident in which someone died (an acquaintance
of an acquaintance of mine actually) as a "perfectly ordinary accident"
and a "bog standard accident" just shows how callously insensitive you
are. Any argument based on those sentiments is not worth debating.
Good night.

I fully understand your feelings about such situations. However, haven't
the police admitted that, when there have been fatalities, they do
sometimes have a policy of closing the road essentially to show respect
for the deceased and their families, and also to demonstrate to other
road users what the consequences of bad driving can be. [...]

That sounds like total nonsense - can you point to any such
'admission'?

It was three or four years ago - I think when the M5 was shut for a
long, long time, with a lot of people being left trapped. And I think
that, about the same time, several other road closures occurred.
Questions began to be asked about whether such protracted closures were
really justified. At least one police spokesman thought that some mark
of respect was necessary in these circumstances.

[...] While I'm sure
that those trapped in traffic all feel sad about what has happened,
should they be made to show respect and guilt in this way?

--
Ian