Old March 18th 12, 01:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default "Virgin Media wins London Underground wi-fi contract"

On 15/03/12 18:50, wrote:
In ,

(Chris Blunt) wrote:

A pity they seem to have ruled out connectivity within the
tunnels/trains themselves. Subway systems in other parts of the world
have been able to achieve this, apparently without too much
difficulty.

Subway systems in the rest of the world don't operate in 12ft diameter tube
tunnels.

Surely a leaky feeder cable doesn't care about the diameter, or depth,
of the tunnel?

Anyway, I'm not impressed. I've already paid for mobile data and don't
see a need to pay for it again (in fact I pay Virgin Media for my TV but
don't have their broadband so don't expect to get anything free there).

The amount of data I have at the price makes WiFi almost irrelevant, and
I often have to turn it off anyway given the number of apparently duff
FON hotspots. Why can't we have 3G or better in the stations instead?

I'm still surprised that the HS1 tunnels (or even the Channel Tunnel)
don't have mobile coverage. Does GSM-R make it easier, more troublesome
or have no effect on the ability to provide coverage?

Richard.