Old March 18th 12, 11:44 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
77002 77002 is offline

Default Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On 2012-03-16 12:01:18 +0000, 77002 said:

On Mar 16, 7:49*am, furnessvale wrote:
On Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:53:04 AM UTC, Mizter T wrote:
Tunnel boring to begin from the Royal Oak portal heading eastwards under
central London.
So, it's finally really happening.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and mouth shut. *How many false starts
did the Channel Tunnel have that actually involved tunnelling underway?

Several of the Crossrail stations have been under construction for
some time. *The ramps down to the portals at Paddington are
substantial.

Moreover, IIRC, the cost of Crossrail has reduced slightly.

Partially by planning to build trains that have few seats and no toilets.

IIRC Correctly it relates to depressed construction costs. Of course
it is early days yet. There may be cost overruns.

It is bad enough having 313s on the Coastway. Why would anyone want
to run trains from Reading to Shenfield sans half baths is beyond me.
This is the cost of involving TfL I suppose. Why cannot Crossrail be
run in a similar manner to Thameslink?

Moreover it is madness terminating so many Crossrail trains at
Paddington.