Old March 19th 12, 03:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default card numbers, was cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster(and Octopus?)

On 19/03/2012 16:24, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 11:10:46 on Mon, 19 Mar
2012, Stephen Sprunk remarked:

Where the only debit cards not accepted are Solo and Electron (and where
I think the "some also accept..." should really read: "a very few might
also accept...").

The discussion was about Visa debit cards, which supposedly had the
stigma of only being possessed by people who couldn't get a credit card.

Debit cards in general, but especially Solo and Electron debit cards.

There's no stigma about Visa debit cards at all - any stigma would apply
to Solo and Electron cards, but Solo cards are no longer issued, and
Electron cards are now pretty hard to come by (one more or less has to
actively seek them out). Most banks that used to issue Electron cards
now issue Visa Debit cards with zero-floor limits.

What I agree we didn't get to the bottom of is how the card companies
can issue 'normal' VISA debit cards while also promising the cardholder
that they (the cardholder) will not be allowed to overdraw.

They don't offer an absolute promise that the cardholder cannot go
overdrawn.