Old March 19th 12, 06:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default card numbers, was cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

In message , at 19:03:06 on Mon,
19 Mar 2012, Clive remarked:
Even if that wasn't EMV, it's just a matter of time until someone
figures out how to do it.
In the mean time, it's so unlikely, especially if the objective is
stealing a few train tickets, that we can discount it.
Unlikely? It's a certainty. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has
already done so and just hasn't publicized that fact--for obvious reasons.

It's not the kind of secret that would keep very well.

I'm not too sure about that, remember everyone with a computer using
fake cards to decode satellite, until I believe it became outlawed, now
no-one hears anything but it still goes on.

SkyTV hacks are well known. And what's interesting to observers in the
security industry is the "early adopters" of such things, not the "long
tail".