Old March 20th 12, 06:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default card numbers, was cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

In message , at 18:01:33 on Tue, 20 Mar
2012, R J Cardy remarked:
What I agree we didn't get to the bottom of is how the card companies
can issue 'normal' VISA debit cards while also promising the
cardholder that they (the cardholder) will not be allowed to overdraw.

The same way they could hand out cheque books with £50 cheque guarantee
cards (cgc). I once opened a bank account with £1 and received a cheque
book containing 30 cheques plus a £50 cgc. Maybe it was because I
worked for a company known as Access.

I don't recall them ever promising those account holders that the bank
wouldn't let them go overdrawn. Indeed, I'd be very surprised if minors
were given CGCs.