Old March 22nd 12, 05:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mark Goodge Mark Goodge is offline

Default King's Cross: the Parcel Yard

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:16:43 +0000, Roland Perry put finger to keyboard and
typed:

In message
, at
08:58:07 on Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Fat richard
remarked:
I passed trough very briefly on Tuesday and got poked by a young girl
with one of those big foam pointing fingers. She was taking her remit
to send people to the departure hall a little too literally. All good
natured stuff but she really was most insistant that I didn't want to
go into the arrivals hall.

I was surprised to see lots of retail still in the Arrivals hall this
morning, I was expecting it to have closed along with the ticket office.

Well, it will be closing when the extension is demolished. My guess is that
the retail operators have a lease until that time and will stay open until
then. Obviously, they're not going to be making as much money over the next
few months as they did before, but unless it becomes a complete lossmaker
there's no reason to close before they have to.

It seems odd to restrict outgoing punters to the choice in the departure
hall, if there's a wider choice by including the arrivals hall.

They're clearly concerned about people not understanding that they have to
go to the new departures hall in order to buy tickets or get on a train.
Given the propensity of the travelling public to completely ignore signs
and directions, that's probably reasonable in the short term.

Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk