Old March 24th 12, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Oyster Cards damaged by proximity door entry cards

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:02:34 -0700 (PDT), neill
wrote:

My employer has recently issued us all with new identity cards as one
building, on another site I never visit, has had its entry system
changed from a swipe to a proximity entry system, similar to Oyster.
Apparently, a number of staff have suffered damage to their Oyster
cards, as they have placed them in wallets etc. next to these new ID
cards.

They probably won't work when together in the same wallet but I can't
think of any way that a card could be damaged permanently. More
likely that it is bent slightly in the wallet, and the antenna breaks.

The guy I share an office with, a computer support guy who speaks in a
language I rarely understand, tells me this is normal for Oysters to
be corrupted in this way. He went onto tell me, that if you place two
Oyster cards together in a wallet, one or both of them will corrupt.

Perhaps he should stick to software!

Richard.