Old March 24th 12, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Oyster Cards damaged by proximity door entry cards

On 24/03/2012 00:02, neill wrote:
My employer has recently issued us all with new identity cards as one
building, on another site I never visit, has had its entry system
changed from a swipe to a proximity entry system, similar to Oyster.
Apparently, a number of staff have suffered damage to their Oyster
cards, as they have placed them in wallets etc. next to these new ID
cards.
The guy I share an office with, a computer support guy who speaks in a
language I rarely understand, tells me this is normal for Oysters to
be corrupted in this way. He went onto tell me, that if you place two
Oyster cards together in a wallet, one or both of them will corrupt.
Proximity entry to buildings is becoming more normal, apparently a
several of cash-strapped universities and colleges in the London area
are swapping their systems as it is cheaper, no doubt other
organisations will in the future. As I don't need, an Oyster card, I'm
not that concerned, but this might be interesting to watch in the
future.

Neill

That is complete and utter nonsense. I keep a smart card from anoter
city and my Oystercard together in the same holder. Trying to tap in
with both of them in the same flap of the holder will just confuse the
reader, which will simply deny you entrance. Putting them in separate
flaps after they have been together will allow each one to work just
fine and neither of the cards have been corrupted in any way.