Old March 30th 12, 05:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default TfL games advertising outside London

On 30/03/2012 12:03, Robin wrote:
The fact that in the office of about 40 people I work in only 1 has
taken
a holiday of longer than 10 days in the last year. None of my friends
or family have taken 2 weeks either and last year I didn't notice an
appreciable drop in commuter traffic levels in london last summer
either.

So other than first hand experience I don't have any evidence.

No risk of sampling bias then? And no contradiction between your
conclusion and the ONS who reported in "Travel Trends 2010" the average
over all overseas holiday trips in 2010 was 10 nights?

Could it be that short trips are increasingly popular (being in real
terms more affordable and practical than in the past), but people don't
count shorter trips as "holiday"?

If someone happened to ask where I went on holiday last year I might
well say I had fortnight trip to Russia. But I also had a long weekend
in France, week+weekend Portugal, week+weekend in Germany and managed to
tag a couple of days on a business trip to the USA.

Admittedly I probably do more travel than typical, I don't have kids to
worry about, and see Benidorm as a place to have lunch before catching a
narrow gauge train rather than than somewhere to fester for a fortnight.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK