Old March 30th 12, 09:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Guy Gorton[_2_] Guy Gorton[_2_] is offline

Default Telephone line numbers, prefixes, and area codes

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 19:41:35 +0100, Graham Nye
wrote:

On 30/03/2012 18:40, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Guy Gorton wrote:

What is a cell phone? Used in prisons?

Oh, good grief. You use the concept in your country.

You aren't aware that mobile phones use a cellular network?

I expect he is. Guy is pointing out that you are cross-
posting to two newsgroups where we call such devices
mobiles.

You are, of course, correct. I have spent much time in the USA and
this is just one of many examples of language differences. I became
particularly aware of the differences because I found myself writing
instructional text destined to be distributed world-wide by an
American company to its staff of many nationalities.
I therefore had to write and spell in "American" which made me adhere,
in my private life, to the most English of English language! Even in
conversation with Americans, providing misunderstandings were
avoided..

Guy Gorton