Old March 31st 12, 11:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Telephone line numbers, prefixes, and area codes

In message , at 12:29:00 on
Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Bruce remarked:
Vodafone was the first in the UK and started up in 1985. I don't know
where the technology might have been used before, but I would be
sceptical about anything so much older being similar.

Bear in mind that Vodafone's designs were by RACAL, whose main business
was building military radio equipment. Although 40 years from military
to civilian use is somewhat longer than normal.