Old March 31st 12, 06:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Adam H. Kerman Adam H. Kerman is offline

Default Telephone line numbers, prefixes, and area codes

Stephen Sprunk wrote:
On 31-Mar-12 10:48, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Graham Nye wrote:
On 30/03/2012 21:17, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

Right. Callers from outside your country sure appreciate that
caller pays surcharge on top of the charge for international long distance,
as it's not readily apparent to foreigners that caller pays applies.

Anyone dialling from outside the UK can spot a UK mobile number as
it will start +44 7... (where + is 011 for NANP countries).

+ is the international instruction to dial the routing digits to make
an international call. I believe we all recognize it.

You'd be surprised. Many Americans probably don't know what our int'l
dialing prefix is since they've never used it--and it's not necessary
for int'l calls to other countries in the NANP.

I have a GSM handset. Every call is dialed with country code, although
I can dial 10 digits domestically. I have to dial a literal + for
international dialing outside NANP.

Also, on some mobile phones, the int'l prefix is actually "01", which
many people may not distinguish from the "1" that sometimes precedes
NANP calls (including Caller ID, on some carriers).

I wonder why that is, as that would get you operator assistance on a
land line call.

It's up to your calltime provider to advise you how much calls will
cost. (Who else can say?)

My service won't know in advance under all circumstances.

Can you provide an example? I can't think of one.

I haven't had a little surprise on my bill in a while. Next time it happens,
I'll let you know.

I do note that several countries in NANP have surcharged numbers, I
assume mainly for caller pays mobile. That should be a surprise to
anyone.

I'm not aware of any surcharged numbers other than the well-known
(within the NANP, at least) 900 and 976 numbers.

Look at the list our friend pointed out. That's where I noticed it.

There are several countries in the NANP that charge ridiculous int'l
toll rates for numbers, hoping that clueless Americans can be enticed
into dialing them, but that's it.

You're talking about that fraud. Calls didn't even terminate there. The
telecom was splitting the long distance settlement fees with those
call centers.

Also, there are new countries in the NANP.