Old April 1st 12, 06:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Adam H. Kerman Adam H. Kerman is offline

Default Telephone line numbers, prefixes, and area codes

wrote:
On 31/03/2012 19:10, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

Also, there are new countries in the NANP.

The newest one that I can think of is St. Maarten, which joined NANP on
30 September with the 721 area code, from its previous country code of +599.

Ah, yes. Looking at Planning Letter 434
http://nanpa.com/pdf/PL_434.pdf ,
+1 721 has been in effect since that date. Use of +599 ends September 30,
2012. However, +599 remains in effect for Curacao, Sint Eustatius, Saba,
and Bonaire. Is this about Sint Maarten promoting closer association with
the United States, or does it reflect long, lingering hard feelings about
the decades-long dissolution of Netherlands Antilles? Both Sint Maarten
and Curacao are now independent of the Netherlands, but the other three
aren't. Those four continue to share the old Netherlands Antilles +599
numbering plan.

I know that Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands
switched their respective country codes to area codes in the late 90s.

Hah! You had no idea that those Pacific Oceana islands were in North America,
did you (or Hawaii for that matter)?

American Samoa 10/2/2004
Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) and Guam 7/1/1997

I don't think I'm forgetting any other expansion.

AT&T created the numbering plan in 1947, and it took effect in 1951. It's
said that they intended to number all the world's countries within it, but
I don't see how there could have possibly been sufficient numbering space.

If anyone cares, NANP members are United States, Canada, Bermuda, parts
of the Caribbean, and parts of Pacific Oceana.

Caribbean portions include Bahamas, Barbados, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda,
British Virgin Islands, US Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Grenada at the
very edge of the Caribbean Sea, Turks and Caicos Islands, Montserrat,
Sint Maarten as we've discussed, St. Lucia, Puerto Rico, Dominica,
St. Vincent and Grenadines, Dominican Republic (one of the few countries
in NANP that were neither British nor US), Trinidad and Tobago, St. Kitts
and Nevis, and Jamaica. Pacific Oceana includes CNMI, Guam, and American
Samoa.

Has there been or anybody else as of late will there be? Does St. Pierre
et Miquelon plan to eventually join NANP? (I can't see that happening,
to be honest.)

Ah. France's last stand in North America. Haven't heard anything about it.