Old April 2nd 12, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default Golden Tours - why Shadwell & Cable Street?

On 02/04/2012 00:04, Paul G wrote:
In message , Someone Somewhere
writes
I've noticed over the last few days that Golden Tours now seem to be
running a double-decker open top bus along Cable Street and using the
Bus Stand outside the old St Georges Town Hall (even with passengers
on board).

Is this a temporary diversion, or have they really run that short of
things to see in London that suddenly the sights of Shadwell are
important to them?

I know nothing about Gold Tours, but Cable Street certainly had an
important part in the UK's fight against fascists and racists in the
1930s: http://www.battleofcablestreet.org.uk/
Mural pictu http://tinyurl.com/cmnc46r

Whilst true (although the true level of significance of the Battle of
Cable Street is debated in some circles) such an event and mural hardly
seems worth driving a mile beyond the Tower for, particularly as the bus
stand in question (where they can sit for up to 10 mins with pax on
board) is the other side of the building to the mural so there is
nothing to see from there (apart from straight in to my neighbours first
floor windows and obliquely into mine).

I suspect a pure economic reason for them doing it (on occasions -
haven't seen a bus today for the last 3 hours which is a blessed relief).