Old April 2nd 12, 10:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Adam H. Kerman Adam H. Kerman is offline

Default Telephone line numbers, prefixes, and area codes (was: card numbers)

wrote:
On Mar 30, 12:25 pm, "Adam H. Kerman" wrote:

Because the original mobile carriers were all subsidiaries of the incumbent
land line telephone companies, they thought in land-line terms.

As I recall it, when cell phone service was finally authorized, there
was to be _two_ competing carriers in a region--one the traditional
wireline carrier, the other a newcomer.

John Levine came up with the example of McGaw Cellular, which did deploy
its own networks in some places. In other places, it bought existing networks.
But often, the second carrier in town was merely owned by a Baby Bell from
another region, or a non-Bell telephone company.

The analog cell phones of that era supposedly could be switched beteween
the A and B carrier, though I think in practice very people did so.

Hm? Even though the prefix was used to route the inbound call to the
correct cellular network?