Old April 2nd 12, 11:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Cell phones, British dials

On 01/04/2012 18:15, wrote:
On Apr 1, 6:20 am, wrote:

*Letters on dials were originally to aid in dialing exchange names, eg
PEnnsylvania 6-5000 instead of 736-5000. The US gradually
transitioned to "All Number Calling" by 1980.

I wrote a reply to this, but for some reason Google Groups won't allow
me to send it. I'll try to send it as a reply just to you, which may
be better since it's quite long, and off-topic for this group.-

The above came through fine. Not sure why google rejected your other
reply.

An email won't work. This thread has already gone way off topic, so
it probably won't hurt to post it publicly. Others may find it of
interest. Maybe break it up into parts. Thanks.

(Trains and telecommunications have many 'connections' in that they're
both common carriers, some of telephone technology is used for
signalling, and trains always have been heavy users of
telecommunications, including development of their own networks.)

Trains and Undergrounds also provide good conduits for regular phone
cables, I might add.