Old April 3rd 12, 06:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Nobody Nobody is offline

Default Cell phones, British dials

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 19:07:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Apr 2, 8:39*pm, bobharvey wrote:
On Apr 1, 1:08*am, wrote: Did the letters* on British telephone dials always correspond to
those of US dials?

No, see below. *As far as I recall the US, Canada, & the Philippines
were the only ones who used the US system, but ICBW.

I heard some countries may have had the Q and O in different
positions.

we had O & Q on the zero. *Nice photo athttp://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s50s-domestic-phones.htm

Ok, so when cell phones came out widely, did Britain convert to that
scheme? What about older landline Touch Tone and rotary phones--did
the dial ring have to be converted?

I'm pretty sure Britain used exchange names as the US did. When did
Britain go to all number calling? (The last US city 'converted' in
1980, but it took a long time for old habits and signage to die.)

I was driving in East Vancouver a week or so back, and noticed that
the wall of a restaurant had finally been repainted to cover over
their old signage which included "HE(mlock)" for their 43-exchange
number