Old April 3rd 12, 08:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Phil[_6_] Phil[_6_] is offline

Default Cell phones, British dials

writes:

The letter/number matchup on US dials/keypads has been the same since
letters were introduced in the 1920s.

I understand that historically Britain used a different matchup.
Thus, when cellphones came out with the US matchup, there was some
sort of 'conversion' between historical British practice and modern
units. That's what I'm trying to put into perspective.

From what I remember, letters had disappeared from most landline phones long
before mobile phones began to appear. One of the reason 1-HELLO-WORLD
style business numbers never happened here.

There are letters on payphones, but these now follow the US/Mobile
pattern.

Phil