Old April 3rd 12, 10:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Cell phones, British dials

On 03/04/2012 03:12, wrote:
On Apr 2, 8:51 pm, wrote:

I recall a trip to Scotland in the 1950s where a payphone was wheeled
into the restaurant car whilst at Waverley, much as we used to drop
one into ships arriving at Boston Docks.

These were merely tied in by extension cords to a landline, right?

The US used to do that with premium trains when at major stations or
terminals.

Also, on premium trains there was a train secretary who would take
telegrams from passengers and send them off at the next station, and
also receive telegrams for passengers on the train.

I wonder if any trains were actually fitted with a telegraph operator
who knew how to use a key.