Old April 6th 12, 04:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
spsffan spsffan is offline

Default Cell phones, British dials

On 4/5/2012 2:41 PM, Peter Masson wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote

Just before nationalisation, the GWR had a plan for an Automat fitted
buffet car. I've only seen artists impressions so I assume it never
went ahead.

In the early 1960s an SK had a compartment stripped and fitted with some
vending machines, billed as an 'Automatic Buffet Car'. For a time it was
rostered on the Cambrian Coast Express between Aberystwyth and
Shrewsbury (where it was detached from the up and attached to the down
train). I don't think it had much success, and it certainly didn't last.

Peter

In the USA, Southern Pacific had Automat cars on some trains in the
1960s. Advertized as a "feature" they were a replacement for a real
diner or cafe car, as SP was trying to get out of the passenger business
by degrading the trains to the extent that nobody wanted to ride.

Note that in the decades before this abomination, SP was famous for its
cuisine, and published cookbooks with its celebrated recipes.

Pity.

Regards,

DAve