Old April 8th 12, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Graham Harrison[_2_] Graham Harrison[_2_] is offline

Default LT museum - can't pay with Oyster

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 20:52:34 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

Took a relative to the LT museum in covent garden on the w/e. They looked
a bit bemused when I asked why couldn't I pay using my Oyster card. Given
TfL seem to want to promote Oyster as electronic cash wouldn't this be
a logical place to start? They could even have proper station gates at the
entrance to let oyster holders through so they don't have to queue and
make
the gates part of the exhibits at the same time. An opportunity missed I
think.

Except that your museum ticket entitles you to free re-entry to the
museum for a year. Oyster doesn't have that capability.
--
Paul C

Well yes, but the problem isn't insoluble. It may be daft but the gate (or
a separate machine just inside) could produce a receipt/ticket for re-entry
(the "fare" would be on a PAYG basis) and if you used a variant of the gates
that have appeared at Kings X that have card readers, magnetic stripe
readers and bar code readers I'm certain the "separate printer" could be
made to produce one of those three formats.

I've no doubt that there are other problems to resolve related to back
office accounting but again, none of it is insoluble.

What's the real problem? Naysayers and a lack of will? No, money.