Old April 9th 12, 04:50 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
spsffan spsffan is offline

Default GTE Telephone line numbers

On 4/8/2012 4:37 PM, wrote:
On Apr 8, 2:02 am, Charles wrote:

Still zinc-carbon, I would not like to see what happens if an alkaline
version was short-circuited.

Quite a sight when a zinc carbon type short circuited.

I'm going to add, belatedly, that the pictures of the No. 6 batteries
that I see on Ebay (old batteries, not new stock) all have the word
"igniter" prominently displayed on them.

This naturally leads one to believe that they were intended to be used
as a source for a spark, to ignite gunpowder or some gas fuel or
vaporized liquid fuel.

It rather makes sense, as I seem to recall them mostly in science labs
and science experiment kits of the kind marketed to adolescent boys. I
seem to recall that my brother used one with a practice telegraph key,
which had a flashlight bulb to give feedback in learning Morse Code.
Stuff like that!

Regards,

DAve