View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Old April 9th 12, 09:56 PM

First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrex View Post
Are London Underground lines designated "Up" and "Down"? I have found a set of signalling diagrams for the Uxbridge branch as it was in 1948...

http://www.harsig.org/PDF/Uxbridge_Branch.pdf

....and the tracks are clearly labelled "Westbound" (towards Uxbridge) and "Eastbound" (towards Rayners Lane). However this seems odd, since I thought Met tracks were designated NB and SB. I know the Met had main line pretensions, and there up Up/Down sidings at Baker Street, apparently. Anyway, the diagram shows a little goods yard on the north ("eastbound"/"up"/"southbound") side but nothing on the southern side of the station.

In the track diagram accompanying the Accident Report on the 1981 Harrow North derailment, the lines at Harrow that dive under the Met main line to Uxbridge are called "NB Uxbridge" and "SB Uxbridge".
I do acknowledge I used OUR local terminology for the lines, since we go UP to London and DOWN to Uxbridge. The signalling map is nice, not seen that before, but the sidings at Ruislip were a full 5 sidings at Ruislip in 1934 and 1939, beyond MT13 they were manually-operated. 2 sidings ended just before Ruislip Manor, 2 before the tennis courts, and 1 was for the stock pens. We had a great range of coal merchants, builders, builders merchants, estate agents, electrical contractors and surveyors. Most of these were catering for the expansion of MetroLand. London Underground took up those sidings at the same tiime they destroyed the sidings at Rayners Lane, about 1965.
With regard to the Uxbridge bound platform I am sure that I seem to remember looking through the concrete posts down into coal wagons and also looking at yellow-painted battery powered trains. I might be mad after all!! Perhaps I was on the London platform looking across the tracks!! Seems unlikely as the Uxbridge side was the route I used to get to school.
Thank you very much for the reply. It is much appreciated.