Old April 10th 12, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] stuart.johnson6@btopenworld.com is offline

Default Ruislip Station sidings

On Monday, April 9, 2012 3:46:30 PM UTC+1, OnePerson001 wrote:
With regard to the above, I know, and have pictures of the main sidings
on the UP line, to London, removed around 1965/66.

However I am almost totally positive, I think, that I can recall a
siding behind the DOWN platform, to Uxbridge. I seem to remember PW
trains, broken down passenger trains, coal trains and steam engines in
this siding. This would be about 1960/61.

Am I mad or just totally confused? There are two arches to the bridge
carrying West End Road, the main one with the UP and DOWN lines, and the
other one empty. Why an arch if no siding?

Since I plan to build a model railway of Ruislip station at its peak, it
would be great to know if I am mad or sane. Any pics or OS maps showing
same would be great as well.

Thanks,
The Lost One.

--
OnePerson001

I think you may be confusing memories of Ruislip and Rayners Lane here. There have definitely never been any sidings on the "down" side behind the platform at Ruislip. Although the bridge was built for four tracks (with, I have read, the intention of providing through lines by-passing the station) they were never laid.

However, the sidings on the south side of the line at Rayners Lane lasted much longer than 1965- they have only been disconnected in the last twenty years, and are still visible on Google Earth. I can remember seeing engineers trains in there well into the 80s- through the concrete fence behind the westbound platform!

Stuart J