Old April 10th 12, 11:29 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com is offline

Default 1951 original Direct Distance Dialing trial

On Apr 10, 5:11*pm, "
wrote:

New York City would have been 212, rather than 11, would it have not?

Yes. But there was a special arrangement from certain NJ towns to
call NYC by dialing an access code, and vice versa.

Obrail: I believe Englewood NJ was served by the New York Central's
West Shore Line, which was losing ridership in the 1950s. The NYC
wanted to terminate psgr service, but the regulators gave them a hard
time. That section of northern NJ is well served by buses that went
direct to the new Port Authority Bus Terminal. I believe an Erie
branch also suffered from low ridership and was abandoned in that era;
now they want to put LRVs on it.