Old April 11th 12, 04:32 PM
OnePerson001 OnePerson001 is offline
Junior Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Monday, April 9, 2012 3:46:30 PM UTC+1,

I think you may be confusing memories of Ruislip and Rayners Lane here. There have definitely never been any sidings on the "down" side behind the platform at Ruislip. Although the bridge was built for four tracks (with, I have read, the intention of providing through lines by-passing the station) they were never laid.

However, the sidings on the south side of the line at Rayners Lane lasted much longer than 1965- they have only been disconnected in the last twenty years, and are still visible on Google Earth. I can remember seeing engineers trains in there well into the 80s- through the concrete fence behind the westbound platform!

Stuart J
Thanks for the reply Stuart. I did mention that I may be suffering from false memories, but what I do know is that you are right over Rayners Lane. The sidings there were removed in two stages. The area now carpark was where the first sidings were removed. The empty bit was the later removal. I remember both being vibrant and fully used. Ruislip sidings, the ones on the North of the lines, were fully used by a great many different businesses. Sad when they were removed and so many people placed out of work. At the time I am concerned with, 1960/62, I was attending school in West Drayton and travelled the line every day. Can I be so wrong?? I hope not, I would feel so daft.

The 1939 OS map does show the way that through-lines would have been routed. I feel that the bend in the line as the tracks left towards Ruislip Manor show the intention. LUL won't let me down into the area to see if any track bed remains!! The LT Museum won't supply any details from their library via the internet, and I cannot get there due to being a cripple!!

I think I may just add the siding to my model anyway, and the through-line workings. At my modelling scale of 1/450th, T-Gauge, I should fit all of it in my 2 metre long board! Modelling the sidings with all their various business interests should be great fun.

I want a Sarah Seddons type loco or 2, I will have to build them myself, and a couple of steam trains. Then early through to modern electric. Great scope in a fantasy world!!

Thanks again Stuart.

David