Old April 13th 12, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Oyster penalties again

In message , at 06:13:41
on Fri, 13 Apr 2012, remarked:
I prefer to wait for the gates to close after the person in front,
then touch.

If you get the balance displayed as expected your card has been read.

I have a very low success rate in looking for the tiny display for the
second and a half the balance shows. They might even be in different
places on different gates - I don't know why I find it so difficult!

Some gates are designed to stay open between users to speed flows.

And I'm happy for them to do that for people with paper tickets and
travel/season cards. But I'm thrice bitten by PAYG and they have to
accept I'm going to wait until I see the gates close, then re-open.