Old April 16th 12, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jarle H Knudsen Jarle H Knudsen is offline

Default Capping mishandled

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 02:18:40 -0700 (PDT), Jack wrote:

On Apr 13, 12:46*pm, Walter Briscoe
wrote:
I made many LU journeys in Z1-4 and one costing 1.40 to Z5.
I was charged 14.40, rather than 12.00 - the Z1-4 cap + 1.40.
Oyster helpdesk staff took a few days to agree that I had been
overcharged and agreed an ex gratia payment for the inconvenience.
The payments were delayed for an extra day as they needed "approval".
Automatic overpayment detection does not recognise the situation.

OTOH, there are discrepancies between the Single Fare Finder and Oyster.
(Oyster charges less.)
Moorgate - Queens Road Peckham peak shows as 3.80 but charges 3.70.
It seems there were recent changes to charges between LU & NR.
The Single Fare Finder has not been updated to reflect those changes.
--
Walter Briscoe

Re. your refund - this would have been purely goodwill. Oyster has
never been able to charge in the way that you think it should.

I hope this was made clear to you when the refund was agreed.

Zone 1-4 + an extra single journey is how I assumed the worked too, but I'm
apparently mistaken. Does TfL explain exactly how it works anywhere?

This page, http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14837.aspx , states

"Oyster will work out the cheapest combination of fares for all your
journeys in one day."

A zone 1-4 travelcard plus a single oyster fare would have been the
cheapest alternative.

--
jhk