Old February 25th 04, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Tube direction

tim wrote:
"Ruud" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

First of all, sorry for any errors in my English.
I'm from the Netherlands, and I have a question about the tube.

I'm planning to visit London for a week, and right now I am preparing
myselve to travel there.

It's a bit difficult for me to explain what I'd like to ask, but ...
Is there anybody that can explain to me, what's on the metro's
(train's) sign if you walk into a tube station.
In other words, wich direction do I keep when I walk into Bayswater
station, and I want to go to St. Jame's Park with the yellow line
(circle).
Do you look to the end station, or is there another method?

snip
As to finding the correct direction, they are indicated using the
compass directions, North, South, East or West and it is usually
obvious which one you need to look for.

However, it's not obvious at Bayswater. The Tube Map shows the line as
running north-south, but it actually runs east-west at this point!

You will find that at Bayswater:
Platform 1 ("Westbound") is for District Line trains to Wimbledon (via
Earl's Court), and Circle Line trains via Victoria (and St James's
Park).
Platform 2 ("Eastbound") is for District Line trains to Edgware Road,
and Circle Line trains via King's Cross.
The signs after you pass through the ticket gates should make this
clear, and the train destinations will be shown on the platform
indicators.

On the Circle Line trains, the indicator on the front will read just
"Circle Line" for both directions, but you will have Emma's friendly
voice in the cars telling you where it's going.
--
Richard J.