Old April 18th 12, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Capping mishandled

In message of Mon, 16 Apr
2012 12:58:22 in uk.transport.london, Jarle H Knudsen
writes
On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 02:18:40 -0700 (PDT), Jack wrote:

On Apr 13, 12:46*pm, Walter Briscoe
wrote:
I made many LU journeys in Z1-4 and one costing 1.40 to Z5.
I was charged 14.40, rather than 12.00 - the Z1-4 cap + 1.40.
Oyster helpdesk staff took a few days to agree that I had been
overcharged and agreed an ex gratia payment for the inconvenience.
The payments were delayed for an extra day as they needed "approval".
Automatic overpayment detection does not recognise the situation.

OTOH, there are discrepancies between the Single Fare Finder and Oyster.
(Oyster charges less.)
Moorgate - Queens Road Peckham peak shows as 3.80 but charges 3.70.
It seems there were recent changes to charges between LU & NR.
The Single Fare Finder has not been updated to reflect those changes.
--
Walter Briscoe

Re. your refund - this would have been purely goodwill. Oyster has
never been able to charge in the way that you think it should.

I hope this was made clear to you when the refund was agreed.

Zone 1-4 + an extra single journey is how I assumed the worked too, but I'm
apparently mistaken. Does TfL explain exactly how it works anywhere?

This page, http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14837.aspx , states

"Oyster will work out the cheapest combination of fares for all your
journeys in one day."

A zone 1-4 travelcard plus a single oyster fare would have been the
cheapest alternative.

I missed those words and am grateful to Jarle H Knudsen for reminding me
of them.
I would value comments from Jack on them, given his
assertion that my refund was merely goodwill.
You are capped at the price of a travelcard to cover all your journeys.
I believe the cheapest combination of fares for my journeys was 10.60
for a z1-4 travelcard and a 1.40 payg fare rather than the 14.40 which
was the total price of my payg journeys.

I started in peak hours, spent 10.20 in z1-4 ending in off-peak hours,
1.40 in z4-5, and 2.80 in z1-4. Off peak caps do not apply as my off-
peak spending was less than the minimum off-peak cap of 7.70. Relevant
peak caps are 10.60 in z1-4 and 15.80 in z1-6. Once you have travelled
in z5-6, the z1-4 peak cap is ignored.

In summary, I paid 14.40 in total; 13.00 was in z1-4 and 1.40 went into
z5-6. My refund was 2.40 to match a z1-4 10.60 cap + 1.40 outside z1-4.
--
Walter Briscoe