Old April 21st 12, 06:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default What would Oyster do, and what does it think I did?

In message of Fri, 20
Apr 2012 18:59:37 in uk.transport.london,
writes
In article op.wc25l8rpby8eno@11-11-11,
(Colin
McKenzie) wrote:

I went from East Croydon to Chiswick by train, using Oyster pre-pay,
and forgot to touch out. As it wasn't my first journey of the day,
the unresolved journey charge would have passed my daily cap. In
this case, does the cap apply?

If you had not touched out, you would have been charged £6.90 peak or
£4.60 off-peak for entering the system.

When I remembered, I touched out at Acton Main Line. I think I was
charged £1.60. How could I have got from East Croydon to Acton Main
Line without passing through a barrier or zone 1? Or did it guess
the truth, that I cycled from another station?

The system does not care if you touch at intermediate stations, except
to choose an Alternative oyster single fare.
£1.60 suggests it got it wrong and undercharged you.
Relevant numbers are £5.90 peak and £4.10 off-peak with the alternative
via Clapham Junction, Shepherd's Bush (or West Brompton and Earl's
Court) and Ealing Broadway shown by a pink validator touch at West
Brompton at £3.10 peak and £2.10 off peak.
cf.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fa...efinder/curren
t/default.aspx?mode=alternate&on=East+Croydon+[National+Rail]&dn=Acton+M
ain+Line+[National+Rail]&ft=Adult

Might £1.60 represent the sum to reach your daily cap? £15.80 peak or
£8.50 off-peak.

Ring the Oyster Helpline?

That is always a good way to spend at least 20 minutes.
--
Walter Briscoe