Old April 22nd 12, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default What would Oyster do, and what does it think I did?

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 22:30:33 +0100, wrote:

If you had not touched out, you would have been charged £6.90 peak or
£4.60 off-peak for entering the system.

When I remembered, I touched out at Acton Main Line. I think I was
charged £1.60. ...

The system does not care if you touch at intermediate stations, except
to choose an Alternative oyster single fare.
£1.60 suggests it got it wrong and undercharged you.
Relevant numbers are £5.90 peak and £4.10 off-peak with the alternative
via Clapham Junction, Shepherd's Bush (or West Brompton and Earl's
Court) and Ealing Broadway shown by a pink validator touch at West
Brompton at £3.10 peak and £2.10 off peak.

That's not so good. I think I had £5.70 on the card at the start of the
journey, so I was probably charged £4.10 and left £1.60. I never could
tell whether the amount shown on the machine was deduction or balance.

In that case I saved a whole 50p by touching out - and spent about £2 more
than if I'd touched out at Chiswick, judging by what I paid the other way.

Colin McKenzie

--
Cycling in the UK is about as safe as walking, and helmets don't make it
safer. Make an informed choice - visit www.cyclehelmets.org.