Old April 24th 12, 06:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A Stock Finale

In article ,
(Peter Masson) wrote:

"77002" wrote

In the late seventys I was privalidged to have an extended visit to
Neasden Depot. I remember some discussion about 3 car and four car
sets. I wonder if this may have related to Bakerloo Line stock.

You are probably correct about the Bakerloo being 4+3, though I don't
think any LT trains in Central London (apart from the Aldwych branch)
have run at anything other than full length since WW2.

Short trains of tube stock have run since WW2:
Epping - Ongar (3-car)
Hainault to Woodford when it was a self-contained shuttle
Holborn - Aldwych
East London Line, during the period after ancient District stock was
used until A stock took over.

ELL had short formations of Met F stock before the Q District stock took
over in the early 1960s until 1971.

The Olympia shuttle used four-car sets for a time in the 1950s if not later.

Acton Town - South Acton was worked by single car units of
sub-surface stock.

Uncoupling on tube lines continued after WW2. I think the last was the GNC
in the 1960s. If you include surface lines, uncoupling on the District
continued into the 1970s.

--
Colin Rosenstiel