Old April 25th 12, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A Stock Finale

In article ,
(Lew 1) wrote:

wrote:
In article
,
lid () wrote:

wrote:
In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:47:46 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 13:13:46
on Tue, 24 Apr 2012, Recliner remarked:
All the A stock trains were either 4 or 8-car (no 3-car units). I
seem to recall that the 4-car double-ended unit trains ran mainly
at weekends (in the 1970s, I lived in a flat that had a distant
view of the Met line).

I used A-stock to get to London and back (often outside normal
commuting hours) in the 90's, and don't recall ever seeing a short
unit.

I think 4-car usage stopped by then on the mainline (ie, excluding
the Chesham shuttle and ELL). Uncoupling went out of fashion on LU by
the 1980s.

Nevertheless, when the A stock was refurbished, most had only one
cab modernised with the other becoming disused. Some double-ended
units, with both cabs remaining usable, were created in similar
fashion to the D stock which is a mix, mainly of three car units
with one cab at one end but with a few units with driving cars at
both ends.

While some of the double cab A stock units were used on the Chesham
shuttle and East London Line services, most were run as part of
8-car trains on the Met main line. I saw one last time I was at
King's Cross last week. I don't think the double-cab D stock units
have ever been run on their own in passenger service.

Not even when D stock looked after the ELL?

I don't remember that. When and for how long was D stock used there?

From Tuneprunes D stock page:

Some were used as 3-car trains on the East London Line between April 1985
and May 1987.

Thanks. I have a feeling that they didn't provide the entire ELL service
though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel