Old April 26th 12, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_2_] Basil Jet[_2_] is offline

Default TfL vs Addison Lee

On 2012\04\26 19:51, Neil Williams wrote:
Paul wrote:

Clearly TfL have come away with a decision that broadly supports its
position. However Addison Lee seem intent on pursuing their argument
that they are being "discriminated" against. The timing of all of this
is extremely dubious in my view and is only about AL making shedloads
of money while not giving a damn about what happens to London's bus
service.

I fail to see why that applies any differently to Hackney carriages.

My view is that taxis of any kind, private hire or Hackney carriage, are
private transport and should not be permitted in bus lanes at all.

Taxis are selectively allowed in those bus lanes where they do not
inhibit the buses. There are numerous bus lanes in Kings Cross,
Islington, Heathrow, The City, Acton, Harrow etc. from which taxis are
forbidden.

Do you also believe that taxis should be permitted to charge whatever
they like, the way most self-employed businessmen do and the way
minicabs do? Why is a bus charging five people GBP11.50 to travel four
miles public transport, but a taxi which is legally compelled to take
the same five people and legally limited to charging them about a tenner
for the same journey in the daytime not public transport?

I'd like to hear your definition of public transport... I suspect it
goes along the lines of "I'm a transport enthusiast with a travelcard,
and I spit the dummy whenever I find public transport that won't take my
travelcard".