Old April 27th 12, 07:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bearded[_3_] Bearded[_3_] is offline

Default TfL vs Addison Lee

On 2012-04-27 06:28:38 +0000, Roland Perry said:

In message
.

net, at 18:51:47 on Thu, 26 Apr 2012, Neil Williams
remarked:
My view is that taxis of any kind, private hire or Hackney carriage, are
private transport and should not be permitted in bus lanes at all.

They are both "public transport" which helps dissuade people from
driving their own cars into cities, have to find somewhere to park etc.

Taxis and minicabs are not simply public transport, they are a lifeline
to lots of Londers like me, with limited mobility. I can't use stairs,
and escalators are anywhere between challenging and impossible at peak
times.

Hence for some journeys, the only realistic option is a taxi or minicab
- for example my regular runs between Woolwich and King's College
Hospital. I have abandoned the "hospital transport" after my last
experience: for a 10am appointment I was told to be ready at 8am, and
the car finally arrived at 9.45.

In a few months time we will see the redevelopment at Denmark Hill
station complete - at which point I will be able to use it - but until
then the choice is either a very long bus ride [during which standing
at stops does me no good at all] or pick up the phone and have a
licensed vehicle collect me from the gate.

IMO, licensed minicabs should be allowed to use those bus lines which
allow taxis.

But as part of the deal, minicabs should be much more visibly labelled.
I'm not suggesting the absurd 'must be yellow and white" Bournemouth
rules, but something much more visible on front back and sides than the
current disc. [How about decals on front, back and sides – safer for
customers, as well.]

Ken