Old April 27th 12, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL vs Addison Lee

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
03:29:09 on Fri, 27 Apr 2012,
remarked:
The distinction between taxis and hire cars is a tricky judgement for
local authorities. We had the same debate in Cambridge over 30 years ago.
But here the hire cars have taximeters and generally charge the same
fares as taxis,

The Cambridge council website says:

"The [private hire] fares are set by the company's meter or quoted in
advance."

It's quite common in that scenario for trips to airports etc to be
done at a fixed fee.

Indeed. I was contrasting Cambridge with other cities, e.g. Birmingham,
where meters are banned and all fares must be agreed before starting the
hire.

--
Colin Rosenstiel