Old May 16th 12, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David David is offline

Default Whitechapel Station

On Wed, 16 May 2012 08:29:12 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Wed, 16 May 2012 07:50:37 +0100, David wrote:

Anyone know what the plans are for the District line platforms at
Whitechapel?

There are two island platforms, originally numbered (I presume) 1 to
4. Plat 1 is the eastbound. The track has been lifted at plats 2 and 3
and the trackbed has been fenced off at both ends of the station. Plat
4 has been renumbered plat 2. This platform has been widened outwards
so the track has been re-aligned. The old wooden canopy has been
extended to the platform edge by a new modern canopy along its length,
looks very odd!

Just wondered what the space in the middle will be used for since the
platforms have been renumbered.

I believe it will be used to provide an escalator link down to
Crossrail as well as provide a much larger circulation area for
passengers.

There are some limited plans on the Crossrail website.

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/sta...hapel/#content
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/sta...echapel/design

It's all clear now, I'd forgotten that Crossrail was stopping there.

Dave