Old May 19th 12, 04:20 PM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot in Hell \Bandit Bikes\ View Post
petrol/electric hybrid vans - why not?

It is a no brainer for any logistics company to switch to petrol/
electric van:

_it will make big savings in fuel cost.

_exempt from the congestion charge

_electric motors are the reliable

I don't know why those companies(like Ford, Vauxhall, Citroen and
Mercedes Benz) are not using them and
car companies are not building them?
At present the technology has not progressed sufficiently to make them feasible for vans and lorries.

I drive a Toyota Prius which is a petrol/electric hybrid and has been ingeniously designed. However, and remember this is a fairly small car, the electric motor functions only up to 28 mph - and then only on the level or downhill with the driver going easy on the accelerator. If the driver stamps on the accelerator, for example to get away quickly or to climb a hill, the car automatically switches to the petrol engine because the driver is demanding more than the electric motor can provide.

In addition the battery needs to be recharged constantly by the petrol engine and the braking system. If the battery is running low, again the car switches automatically to the petrol engine, even at speeds below 28 mph.

As vans and lorries carry far heavier loads than cars do, a massively more powerful electric motor will be necessary and probably an entire array of batteries as well.

I imagine the main motor manufacturers are investigating possibilities for goods vehicles including diesel/electric hybrids.

Last edited by Robin9 : May 21st 12 at 03:56 PM Reason: typo