Old May 24th 12, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott[_3_] Paul Scott[_3_] is offline

Default Why are some fares defined and others not?

"martin j" wrote in message
Due to Southern cancellations used Tulse Hill rather than my normal
Streatham Hill, from Canary Wharf, via Canada Water. Asked for a refund
after being charged £2.00 exiting Tulse Hill and TfL Oystercard operator
told me this was only a goodwill gesture and would not longer happen
again. Seems the fare is defined to Streatham Hill but not to Tulse Hill,
so you get charged at the latter. Since I haven't gone outside my zones 2
and 3 I don't understand the charge.

I think what they meant was that there isn't a fare defined to Tulse Hill
that avoids zone 1 by changing (using the routeing validator) at Canada
Water.

Canary Wharf to Streatham does have two fares defined - so you must normally
be using the pink routing validator?

This is a commonly reported feature - the route validators do not work for
every possible A-B pair, only those that have been deemed likely to be used.

The solution must be a means of formally proposing that a new 'not Z1' fare
be created which needs a routeing validator touch somewhere.

Paul S